Monday, April 10, 2006

Being fit ... fulfilling self-actualization needs: An experience in a gymnasium

What are key things human beings look for? Obviously it is happiness. But if I drill down to the next level, I see people running for money, fame, family life, health etc. These days I am very enthusiastic to reduce that extra inch. God give the power to burn my calories … churn my muscles … lose the extra pounds … and then stand next to Tom Cruise to make him envy of my sexy abs.

But all this possible if one is consistent with any of the trusted schedules. I have joined gym – “Body Fitness” in Vaishali for a month, mainly to reduce the flab. I don’t have that much time to make my body with new curves … but definitely want the hemisphere to sweat away.

Last 5 days I haven’t put those huge dumbbells on my strong shoulders but work out on treadmill, stepper, cycling, twister and the belt. As other people also have same aspirations as I do, they want to grab the most wanted treadmill and run for 15mins.

My experience with treadmill has been arresting and have somewhat got addicted to run at the maximum possible speed. I never leave an opportunity to step on to it and start with a speed of 6. Every 10 seconds, I keep increasing the speed and finally reach 12 mark in the 6th minute and try to maintain for atleast 2-3 minutes and then I am comfortable at 11. My record so far is 2.5 kms in 15 mins by burning 80 calaries.

As other people are vying at me to step out, I am all set for my cyling. Today I performed 2 sets of cycling of 2.5 kms each. So all in all, I ran for more than 4 kms on the treadmill and 5+ kms cycling.

It’s a great feeling every second to sweat and wet my T-shirt and change the color from gray to dark gray. And then u try to emulate Sharukh Khan in the movie “Bazzigar”, who spellbound Kajol by shaking his hairs with full of sweat.

And then when u come home and stand in front of the mirror, u see a change in your tummy. If I try to relate to Maslows hierarchy of need… going and working out in a gymnasium is of fulfilling your self-actualization and at the same time a combination of ego and self-esteem needs.