Saturday, January 21, 2006

19th May, 2004 - Got my IIFT result... Luckily it was positive. What if it would have been negative?

If I go back 20 months, I find myself eagerly waiting for my IIFT result. I was very nervous as it was the only call with me. It was positive. But let’s take a situation if I would have got a “no”, then what would I have been doing. It actually scares me when I think about it. Anyways let’s introspect.

In my 12 months stint in my first corporate experience, I was individually handling a UK Client – website maintenance, development of new modules and did a six sigma project. But I was always interested in the other side of the software world i.e. not the development (coding), but the business development i.e. how you get the project, convince the client to invest a million dollar and trust my organization for a perfect solution. I always had the inner desire to make those jazzy presentations in customer’s room and focus on the core capabilities of my organization.

As I was not very interested in coding, I talked my account manager to put me in pre-sales, and then gradually move me to hard core Business Development. According to him, one needs to work for at least 2 to 3 years to get these responsibilities. I was 100% convinced that I am made for this, but as I didn’t have my MBA qualification, it was difficult to convince the management to trust me and offer the same.

The biggest learning was – “Do what you love, and not love what you do”

As written earlier, it actually scares me to think negative. The options with me would have been the following:

1. I could have continued in the same organization for a year and would have tried again for CAT and other exams. But, actually was really tough as I had put my everything into it. My confidence level would have been fallen down badly.
2. I could have shifted to some other software organization to have a change in the environment
3. I could also have applied for a sales profile in some other sector

Actually the problem with me is that I am very impatient. I cannot wait for things to go-by like that, esp. if I am convinced to do something. Sometimes I get attached so much, that it becomes difficult for me to leave it. I am working on this problem and have got some success.

But my philosophy is that, until and unless one does mistakes, one has weaknesses, how can one improve. It’s always great to do blunders in life, as they are the biggest teachers. Definitely it gives lot of pain for sometime, but finally it helps a lot.

Frankly, I am going through a bad phase these days, but I am sure it is going to get over soon. And will get fresh learning.

That’s life. How did you like this Hiness?